With the return of The Great British Bake Off to our screens, have the blue eyes of Paul Hollywood got you in the mood… for baking?! Our Brew Boffins thought we’d help you out by sharing a recipe which combines two of our greatest loves: coffee and cake. Oh the bitterness, the intensity, the body, the aroma… ah this coffee cake is truly irresistible.
For the cake
175g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g self raising flour (sifted)
1tsp baking powder
2tsp Change Coffee
For the icing:
150g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar (sifted)
2tsp of Change Coffee mixed with 1tbsp hot water and cooled
40g hazelnuts (halved)
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (180°C or fan 160°C)
- Line the base of 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed cake tins and grease the sides with a knob of butter
- Toast the hazelnuts on a baking tray until they are golden (takes about 5 minutes), then remove and set them aside to cool. Once cooled, rub the hazelnuts lightly with a clean tea towel to remove the brown skin.
- Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the flour and baking powder. Mix the coffee with 1 tbsp of warm water and fold into the cake mix with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Divide the cake mix into the two cake tins and smooth the surface. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin then turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
For the icing:
Beat the butter, icing sugar and cold coffee until smooth. Sandwich the cooled cakes with half of the icing and then cover the top with the rest. Decorate with the chopped hazelnuts.